My name is Jared Gulian, and I’m still not entirely sure how I ended up living in paradise.
My partner CJ and I are two American city boys who moved to rural New Zealand in 2006. We live on 20 acres just outside the charming wine and olive village of Martinborough, at the bottom of the North Island.
In 2008 we began making our artisan extra virgin olive oil available commercially. It’s called ‘Moon Over Martinborough.’
In June 2013 I published my first book, also called ‘Moon Over Martinborough,’ which tells the story of our first four years on the olive farm. It became a best seller in New Zealand — rising to number 4 and staying on the best seller list for 6 weeks.
Subscribe to updates
You can subscribe to this website by email. Just enter your email address in the ‘Email subscription’ box to the right, under the site menu. Alternatively, click on the ‘Follow’ button on the bottom of your screen and slap your email address in there. You’ll get updates every time I publish a new post.
Read more about
Our 20-acre property has about 500 olive trees and a trout stream just out the bottom gate. Plus we have heaps of other fruit and nut trees — apricot, peach, pear, plum, chestnut, almond, pine nut, feijoa, and even a quince tree. Cattle and sheep graze in the paddocks.
There’s a 2-bay hay shed with a million dollar view, a veggie garden, green house, flower garden, native garden, some very well fed chickens, and some pet kunekune pigs.
Let Frances Mayes have her Tuscan sun, and Peter Mayle his year in Provence. I’ve got my moon over Martinborough.
For more on how CJ and I ended up here, read my life story as recipe at ‘Make your own olive oil in 23 easy steps‘.
Articles and interviews
Below is a list of newspaper, radio, magazine, blog, and book interviews.
- Jared Gulian’s Blog-to-Book Goes Over the Moon in Martinborough (September 2013)
- A Blog-to-Book Success (July 2013)
- Moon Travel Guides: Living Abroad in New Zealand (January 2012)
- Dominion Post: My Favourite Table (September 2011)
- Radio New Zealand: Country Life (July 2011)
- Coast Access Radio 104.9 FM (February 2010)
- Run Abroad: Interview with a Runner (February 2010)
- Wairarapa Times-Age: Blogger over the Moon (October 2009)
- Expat Focus: Expat Experiences (September 2009)
- Wairarapa Lifestyle Magazine: From Motown to Martinborough (September 2009)
If you like what you read, please leave a comment. They make my day and let me know people are out there, enjoying my stories.
You’re guaranteed to get a response if you tweet me. I do my best to answer emails and Facebook messages, but I can’t always keep up!
- Twitter: MoonOverMboro
- Facebook: MoonOverMartinborough
- Good ol’ fashioned e-mail: email@example.com