‘Moon over Martinborough’ premium extra virgin olive oil is cold pressed, unfiltered, and absolutely delicious. We produce a vibrant, single estate blend that combines the unique tastes of Barnea, Manzanillo, Frantoio, and Leccino olives.
NZ celebrity chef and TV presenter Al Brown says, “That’s nice oil!”
We take special pride in offering early harvest olive oil, which means our oils are incredibly flavorsome. While harvesting late produces greater quantities of olive oil, the quality generally suffers as the oil tends to be bland. That’s why we choose to harvest early.
Our olive grove is situated near the banks of the Huangarua River just outside the charming wine village of Martinborough, in the cradle of the sunny Wairarapa valley.
The Martinborough micro-climate provides warm, dry days and cool, fresh nights. This gives our oil a beautiful richness and an intensity of flavor that will make you realize just why people over the centuries have been so passionate about ‘the good oil’.
You can buy our olive oil (as well as other ‘Moon’ products) online through the Martinborough Wine Centre. If you’re overseas, please email the Wine Centre to get shipping rates. If you’re in NZ, you can do it all in their online shop.
You can purchase our olive oil from:
- Moore Wilson’s – Wellington & Masterton locations
- Martinborough Wine Centre
- C’est Cheese – Featherston
- Haythornthwaite Wines – Martinborough
Food blogger feedback
- milliemirepoix says, “It’s fantastic!”
- Couscous & Consciousness says, “Gorgeous.”
- Something Else to Eat says, “One of the best goodies… I’ve been hoarding it for the right occasion.”
- Choice! NZ says, “Definitely worth tracking down a bottle and giving it a go.”
- Lydia Bakes says, “Some amazing olive oil.”
Tips on using fresh oil
There are a million ways to use ‘Moon over Martinborough’ olive oil. Here are just a few:
- Drizzle on crisp green salads, or over a plate of fresh mozzarella and chopped tomato. Add cracked pepper and serve. You don’t need vinegar on your salad – it hides the taste of good, fresh oil.
- Cook greens such as spinach, silverbeet or cavalo nero. Place oil in a pan along with some fennel seed and chopped garlic. Cook for a minute or two, then toss in your greens and cook until slightly wilted but still crisp.
- Pour over steamed asparagus or broccoli.
- In a shallow bowl, place a wheel of fresh goat cheese. Smother it with chopped garlic, rosemary, and olive oil. Serve with French bread or ciabatta.
- Slather generously over your pork roast before cooking, along with rock salt.
Leave a review
Have you tasted our oil? Please tell us what you think in a comment below. We love to hear from you.