Today is the biggest full moon of 2013 — a Supermoon as it’s called. So I’m publishing a Superpost. I’m listing all the incredible things that have happened since I launched my book with Random House New Zealand on 7 June.
It all started a couple days before the big launch when I heard someone walk in our front door and call out, “What’s for lunch?” I thought, “That sounds like my mom… but of course it couldn’t be. She lives in Michigan.”
In fact, she’d come all this way to surprise me and attend the book launch. CJ was in on the secret. It was great having her here. She represented all my loved ones back in Michigan.
The launch at the Martinborough Wine Centre and the Village Cafe was incredible. We had a great turnout and everybody had a really good time. We served food from several of the recipes that appear in the book:
- Aussie Bronwyn’s Gluten-free Foccacia — dipped in Moon Over Martinborough olive oil
- John’s Pork Belly Crackling on the Barbie
- and of course the now famous Carrot Cake.
Several of my favorite Martinborough wineries very generously supplied the wine:
Nicola Legat, publishing director of Random House New Zealand, kindly came down from Auckland and gave a speech telling the story of how she came across my book. Then I said a few words and did a short reading from the book. After that we had a book signing. It all very much felt like being a Real Live Author.
You can listen to the speeches in YouTube clip at the bottom of this Superpost.
The best news of all is that the book made it to #4 on the NZ non-fiction bestseller list! I guess I’m now officially a bestselling author. Go figure.
- Dominion Post – ‘Reaching for the Moon’ by Nikki MacDonald
- Radio New Zealand (25 min) – Afternoons with Jim Mora
- Newstalk ZB (15 min) – with Justin du Fresne
- RadioLIVE (8 min) – Home & Garden Show with Tony Murrell. Interview by Helen Jackson
Reporters from TVNZ’s Breakfast (a major morning news and talk show) came out and filmed a segment which should be televised next week. I’ll post about it when it airs. (See post: TVNZ’s Breakfast visits the Moon.)
Book reviews have appeared in a range of periodicals — from farming newspapers to gay magazines.
- Young Country
- Central South Island Farmer (pdf) – This review from Jill Galloway also appeared in the Manawatu Standard.
- Gay Express
- NZ Book Council – Interview by Stars over Wellington (Rachel O’Neill)
- Gems of Gorgeousness – Review from Jenna Moore
An excerpt from the book (about bringing home Old Lady Lucy the geriatric pig) appeared in 6 of New Zealand’s regional newspapers:
- Bay of Plenty Times
- Rotorua Daily Post
- Hawke’s Bay Today
- Wanganui Chronicle
- Wairarapa-Times Age
- Oamaru Mail
Community access radio
I’ve also had the good fortune to get coverage on two community access ration programs:
I wish I could take credit for all of this publicity, but I can’t. I have a magical thing called a publicist. It’s like having a fairy god mother. Her name is Jennifer Balle and she’s at Random House. She is amazing. Thank you Jennifer!
- Image by Diane Pape (Thanks Mom!)
- Video – Recording by Naya Brangenberg of Longbush Free Range Pork. Editing help from Mike McClelland (my uncle back in Michigan!).